Ready for summer - wide leg linen pants

Sunday 9 August 2020

I had absolutely no reason to make a pair of summery linen pants since we've had torrential rain and cold weather lately (which is great, because we need all the rain we can get!). But since I'm at home going nowhere with more clothes than I currently need why not make whatever takes your fancy? Plus I know the warm weather is only just around the corner and this time I'll be ready if I ever go back to working in an office, going out with friends or just doing anything other than working from home.


pink linen wide leg pants Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com


These are Burda 10/2016 #113, which I first made as one of my Burda of the month challenge projects:

Burda 10/2016 #113 wide leg pants

After years of wearing skinny pants, it does feel strange but also freeing to wear wide leg pants. Thankfully these aren't too wide - more just a straight leg from the hips down.

pink linen wide leg pants Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

A few years ago I was on a mission to perfect pants fitting and used a whole 10m bolt of calico making multiple muslins and I still didn't make a pair I liked. I've realised that wide leg pants like these suit my lumpy legs best the fabric just hangs straight down, but still every time I make pants I continue to make fitting adjustments.


This time I used the crotch curve of the largest size but the leg and waist sizes in my normal size, and I also increased the height of the back rise by adding a wedge and spreading the dart open to keep the crotch curve correct - I didn't do this properly last time and it made the pants gape open at the back. I've read so many resources on pants fitting I can't remember where I learnt this from, but this is what it looks like:

pants fitting adjustment to increase the height of the back Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

I do love the wide curved waistband - it's quite comfortable and sits over my mum tum because these are high waist pants (well probably at the natural waistline which feels high to me!).

pink linen wide leg pants Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

And how nice is this white top? I bought it from an op shop without even trying it on thinking I could salvage the fabric for a refashion but it turns out it fits perfectly and looks smashing with these pants:

pink linen wide leg pants Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

The only thing I'm not sure on is the length of these worn with heels - these days I tend to wear flat shoes most of the time so that's the length I hemmed these to. They are perfect when worn with sneakers and flat sandals, so I guess that's what I'll have to wear with these pants

pink linen wide leg pants Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

pink linen wide leg pants Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

It's not often that I make pants and like how they look, but this pattern is a winner in my books. I've made these two times previously - firstly in 2016 in a white pinstripe cotton that sadly no longer fit and then again in 2018 in paprika linen which I do still wear frequently.

white wide leg pants Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

paprika linen wide leg pants Burda 10/2016 #113 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

I never thought I'd be wearing and loving a pair of pale pink linen pants but it turns out that pink is a neutral that goes with just about any colour. As much as I love winter and the cold weather, I'm slightly looking forward to summer now so I can start wearing these pants out more than just the quick dash to the supermarket I did today!

http://loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com/2016/11/burda-of-month-102016-113-w-i-d-e-leg.html

11 comments:

  1. These pants look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! Pants with curved waistbands fit best for us pear shaped ladies!



    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I just picked up some linen fabric with pants in mind, but no particular pattern. These look fab on you and I have that Burda; I think I'll give them a go too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely. The colour is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like these pants on you. Very flattering and comfort too! I’m going to have to track down this pattern to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking great as always 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pants look wonderful with flats. Good on you for getting ready for Summer 🌝😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the look of them with the flats. They look very easy to wear and versatile. Curved waistbands are definitely the best when you have curves for yourself.

    I haven't seen that particular adjustment to add extra height in the back crotch curve. I might try it myself next time and see if it helps. I notice it increases the darts at the back. That might help nicely cover my own curves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pink is really pretty and it's interesting to hear how well it works as a neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice relaxed style. I use to wear wide pants and after fighting the skinny leg trend I am totally on board. But these make me think I could still pull out my old wide leg work pants again and I would still be in style!. Looks nice on you and that top is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those sizing solutions are pretty awesome. I've been looking for pants like this! Time to start prepping. 🙂

    ReplyDelete