Cozy winter dress - Simplicity 8014

Saturday 1 August 2020
It's the middle of winter here in the southern hemisphere, although it doesn't really get that cold in Sydney which means anytime of the year is the right time for a new dress! Especially when it's made from a brushed cotton / flannelette (are they one and the same?)

black and white check shirt dress simplicity 8014 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

It's not very often that I make all the versions of a pattern, but Simplicity 8014 is firming up as a favourite pattern for both of its styles of shirt dresses. I've made two versions of view A/B with a full skirt and now I've made view C. Literally I have made view C - even using the same fabric as the illustration!


I wasn't sure how this pattern would turn out because I know with my wide hips and smaller waist that patterns with a waist seam work best and look the most flattering on me. So I cut the pattern out a size larger than I needed below the waist to make sure that it would flow and drape around my widest part rather than strain across my hips and thighs. So it's a little wider than the pattern illustration but still not as wide as the full skirt version of this pattern. 

black and white check shirt dress simplicity 8014 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com
 
Without a belt it doesn't look too frumpy, but it does have serious night gown vibes so I think I'll stick to wearing a belt with it.

black and white check shirt dress simplicity 8014 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

black and white check shirt dress simplicity 8014 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

I really like the button tab on the sleeves to wear them folded up - it makes it look a bit more casual. 

black and white check shirt dress simplicity 8014 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com

And even though I intended this as a casual dress I couldn't help but match the plaids - it makes my eyes twitch when it doesn't work out but thankfully on this dress it did. After pre-washing this fabric it was really off grain so I had to iron it back into shape which I'm glad I did because all those seams match. Not on the shoulder seam though - matching sleeves to the bodice is super super hard!

black and white check shirt dress simplicity 8014 www.loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com
 
I think I've really got my money's worth out of this pattern, especially since I would have bought it during one a pattern sale. I can definitely see a few more of these dresses in both versions in my future.

6 comments:

  1. Great looking shirt dress and what about the top button or two undone, this might make wearing without the belt a bit easier as it creates more of a visual line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! All of your versions of this pattern are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute, even without the belt! I'm glad to see you back in my feed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shirtdresses and this pattern and gingham. WIN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it has turned out hmmmm warm and yummy looking. It looks so comfy. We have Fall coming our way (hopefully.... it's way warmer than I like lately... 100's and high 90's here in Utah).. but I don't mind Winter... actually looking forward to it. Hopefully it doesn't bring another resurgent of Covid 19.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete