just getting on with things.....

Thursday 9 April 2009
I've decided I've done enough whinging about not doing any sewing for myself, and thought it was about time I did something about it. I like to have a whinge as much as the next person, but eventually you've gotta either do something about it or just shut up and accept it. So for the last three nights instead of laying on the lounge dangling my feet in husband's face in a not so subtle hint to get him to rub my feet (doesn't always work sadly!) I traced off a BWOF pattern and made me some new pants.

Now I know a few posts ago I said I was crap at making pants that fit, but since the last pair turned out alright I'd thought I would make another since we are coming into the cooler months now. I used BWOF 11/08 pattern 121, which Burda describes as a "high waistband, low-set waist pleats and wide legs provide these trousers/pants with a slimming effect".
















Hmmm I think that slimming effect works best if you are already tall and slim like the BWOF model, because these aren't slimming on me at all. They are completely different to the style of pants I normally wear which are low waisted, flat front bootleg style, but I had nothing to lose except some fabric from the stash.


I made these from a grey wool crepe like fabric (it's been in the stash too long for me to remember exactly what it is or where it's from....) which I thought would help those pleats drape fluidly. It's just that I think I'm too short and bottom heavy to wear light grey wide leg pants with pleats. Which is a pity because they fit really really well, the only change I made to the pattern was to include two small darts at the back to make the waistband fit more snugly otherwise the pattern is just perfect and was very easy to make. Althouh I did ignore the BWOF instructions completely because they usually make me too despondent and just made them in the usual order of pants making, and again I used the Sandra Betzina method for the fly zipper because it's practically fail proof.
I might try these pants with different tops and shoes to see if I can find a better combo, or make these in a darker colour before I give up on this pattern completely.
Another thing I really liked about this pattern is that it has one of those nifty side hip piece that extends past the pocket to join with the fly extension - this gives a much smoother line to the front of the pants and stops the pocket scrunching up every time you take your hand out:

And the other good thing is that I've justified the purchase of the November 2008 BWOF, now onto all the rest I've bought but not used.....

15 comments:

  1. wow - you made a beautiful job of sewing those. I don't think I could show the inside of my pants after sewing them, something wouldn't quite meet properly and give the home-made game away ..

    I saw those pants too, and thought about them because I liked the fuller leg. Then the ghosts of Trinny and Susannah whispered in my ears, "pleats at the hip.. why would you add more fullness to your fullest part?"

    Anyway, they look very cute on. I'm glad you're making time to sew for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job on the pants. Maybe for the next pair do them without the front pleats. And if you can live without front pockets, omit them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These weren't slimming on me either!

    The yoke part looks really good on you, though! I say keep that and remove the pleats, because except for them, it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you have plenty of room in the pants maybe you could just sew the pleats down and make them darts. Maybe you would like them better that way. The construction is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I think they look great. Maybe with a more fitted shirt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they're really cute pants. I'm so impressed with your pants skilz. If you're unhappy, like Beth suggested maybe sew the pleats down past the fullness of the hip?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them. I think the only problem is that they are a little too short. Wider legged pants need to be long enough that no leg and very little foot shows and look best, really with some heal. I've made the August version to death and need to try this one. You did a beautiful job on the fronts, with the pockets and pleats (like them or not, they're sewn great). I love the BWOF front pockets, it's a nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done. Those came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Sewing Kristy - construction is wonderful. I agree with the previous comments to ditch the pleats and maybe try them with a dark colour shirt. Don't give up on them yet - they look stylish & really easy to wear

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the pants are really cute, but if you are uncomfortable in them, I wonder if the same detail at the top...the wide waistband, the pockets, and the pleats...would look nice on an a-line skirt? I bet it would be easy to convert the pattern.

    I am in the midst of a quest to make the perfect fitting pants, so I am in awe of anyone who can just make them, without tears and cursing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your the one that needs to be happy. I'm with the rest of the crew... trying it without the little pleats might make you happier. Otherwise they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great job! i agree that pleats at the hips are for the super-skinny.

    could you dye the fabric? a darker colour would make the pleats less obvious. plus wearing them with a wedge sandal gives you height.

    always lovely to see your posts - an inspiration as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is good to be late to the party...that way I get to see everyone else's comments. And they have all come up with the goods! They are beautifully made and a bit of tweaking should make them perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work looks very professional! You must be very patient and skilled.They look good. Perhaps coupled with a nice knit jumper and I agree, some heels, even if those kitten heels. They would be more slimming in a darker colour. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, they don't look so bad...you're right, just try different tops. I have been through every top in my wardrobe, working out how to wear wide leg pants with pleats. For me, fitted t-shirts are not so great, but they look fine with a woven top that ends at the hip bone. Otherwise, layering with a cardi seems to break up the lines a little, which is similar to the effect on the model.

    ReplyDelete