Suns out, dresses are on: Burda 07/2015 #115

Saturday 11 September 2021

It's only the beginning of spring here in Sydney, yet we hit 30 degrees (84F) here today - that doesn't bode well for when summer actually rolls around. Despite my love for sewing summer dresses I do not like the heat at all, but clearly I'm living in the wrong country!


After the last failure of a dress I decided to make a super simple dress that I've made before and I knew would fit with minimal effort. The real star in this project is the fabric - a bold graphic print cotton sateen from Nerida Hansen Fabrics. I'm not too impressed with the fabric though - it's rather thin and more like a cotton poplin or lawn than a sateen and it lost the sheen after the very first wash and the navy blue parts of the fabric look a bit worn out already. It works fine for this casual dress, but previous fabric I've bought from Nerida Hansen have been better quality than this, so it's a bit disappointing and I hope it's just this batch.


A picture of a lady posing next to a pool in a dress with a bold graphic print

The pattern is Burda 07/2015 #115, which I made back in 2015 when I was doing my Burda of the month challenge. I still wear that dress, so I knew this one would work out fine.


a sewing pattern cover of a dress


There's not much to say about this dress - it has a boat neckline with a facing, cap sleeves, a gathered skirt with elastic waist and a simple bodice with a bust dart. I picked this pattern not only because it is simple, but because I didn't want too many seam lines to avoid breaking up that large scale print. I deliberately placed the waistline at the dark stripe to avoid the stitching being too obvious.


a white lady posing beside a pool in a graphic blue and orange print dress

The back is similar to the front, just without the bust dart.
 
a photo showing the back of a woman standing next to a pool in a blue and orange print dress

And it has the all important pockets in the side seams. I'm not a fan of pockets in fitted dress because it adds bulk and they usually gape open, but in gathered skirts like this they are just right.


a white lady posing next to a pool in a blue and orange print dress

So all in all a great project - perfect match of fabric and pattern. I can see this dress getting a lot of wear this coming summer.

2 comments:

  1. Cute dress. Perfect for warm weather. Here in the uk 30 degrees would be considered a heatwave temp. Even in the middle of summer. Where I live on the coast, the highest temp was 25 this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about the fabric quality but so glad you could make the dress in it. It seems that stripes and this pattern are a perfect match and I really like the way your have used the stripe placements. Not looking forward to summer either, plenty of cool dress will be needed.

    ReplyDelete