Kwik Sew 3125 - matchy matchy

Thursday 6 June 2013
When I was growing up the thing I hated with a passion was being dressed the same as my sister. Now that I have kids of my own I can sort of understand why, because in the interests of peace and any semblance of quiet you must treat each equally because inevitably what one has the other will want. But at the time I hated it, especially since my sister was 3 years younger than me. I wish I could find the photo of us wearing matching strawberry shortcake short and tshirt set, but you'll just have to take my word for it that it was way too much matching and way too much sickly pink and just plain wrong!

Having kids of different genders has made it easier, but I've gone out of my way not to make them matching clothes (fabrics or styles) or matching with me either. So you can imagine my surprise when Anna demanded a jumper (sweater) to match the one I had just made her little brother. Deep from the stash I made a simple raglan sleeved jumper for Toby from Kwik Sew 3150 in a grey marle fleece with a Dalmatian and fire truck print that I picked up in a garage sale eons ago:

kwik-sew-3150-toddler-fleece-jumper

I made Toby's version with a red ribbing also from the stash for the cuffs, neckband and waistband. I used size T1, but I find that it's very snug and he probably won't be able to wear it for much longer - wasn't I just ranting recently how big the commercial sewing patterns sizing is? Well it appears Kwik Sew is different.....

Kwik-Sew-3150-toddler-fleece-jumper
 
Kwik-Sew-3150-toddler-fleece-jumper
 
I had a bit of fabric left over that I was going to make a second jumper for Toby in a bigger size but Anna demanded one too, so using the same pattern but in size T4 I made her the same jumper, just without the rib hem band:

Kwik-Sew-3150-toddler-fleece-jumper

kwik-sew-3150-toddler-fleece-jumper

Ordinarily I wouldn't sew something like tracksuits when they are so cheap to buy and kids destroy them or grow out of them before you know it. Plus fleece fabric is surprisingly expensive given that you're not making it into something high end out of it. But since I do have the fabrics in the stash and they don't take that long to make it's silly not to make them - it's not like the fabric is worth holding onto forever.
 

kwik-sew-3150-toddler-fleece-jumper
 
I only wish I had enough fabric to make their dad a matching jumper too. Trying to embarrass him is fast becoming my favourite pastime!
 
kwik-sew-3150-toddler-fleece-jumper
 
 

23 comments:

  1. Beyond cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They couldn't be any cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy that she wants to share things with her brother -- very sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, they're so cute! Toby's really growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those matching sweatshirts are so cute! And Toby can grow into Anna's (if it doesn't get destroyed).

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I wish you had enough for shirts for all three! That would have made for a hysterical picture! No worries - the threesome look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too suffered the fate of being dressed to match a little sister -although not as much as she did, she wore her own version and then mine as a hand me down - but as a parent the cuteness factor is just too much to resist every now and again! They both look thrilled with their jumpers so they obviously don't mind, and I do wish there had been enough for three!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to know what was in Toby's mind as he looked at his sister in that last photo. So fun, thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that dressing them the same at this age is fine. But later on watch out. My mum used to do this when I was in my early teens and my sister was FIVE years younger than me. Still is in fact. Lucky she survived my hissy fits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's super cute!!! I like matchy matchy, but probably because my brother and I were never dressed the same. Recently I did acquired lots of flannel is the same design in three different colour ways.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute. They look so warm and cosy.

    I used to be dressed like my older sister too. What got me was the adult mother and daughter who dressed the same on the recent My Kitchen Rules ..... now that was STRANGE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha ha, I smell a christmas gift idea!!! (matching shirts for your kids and husband!!)
    Thanks for your support about my thurlow woes. I want to get back in the saddle again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I often make "matchy matchy" for my two daughters - because they ASK me to! They love it! I usually make different styles in the same fabric, or the same style in different fabrics. But as soon as they ask not to match, I'll stop doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cute tops and love the photos. Yes another that was dressed the same as her sister (she is 16 months younger than me). I need to check to see objected the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is super cute! I loved wearing matching clothes with my sister who was only 15 months younger - and I love matching my and my daughter's outfits. Funny how we all react differently. I hope my daughter won't mind in retrospect :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are lovely and a very cute print. I struggle to sew for my boys as it is often easier to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable shirts (and kids!), I will say that at first glance I saw robots, not fire trucks...I don't think the coffee has quite kicked in yet.

    I never had the horror of being dressed like my sister, who is 5 years older. I had the worse horror of wearing her hand-me-downs 5 years after they were out of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha ha... I loved the way Toby is looking at Anna! Lovely last photo and I guess if your child demands a matchy matchy top, who are you to argue. Cute fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that's a great family shot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love their matching tops! Your kids are just beautiful, and I love those family shots!

    ReplyDelete