Thursday, 9 March 2017

Something quick, cheery and simple


After that intensive week of couture sewing with Susan Khaljie, I needed something quick and simple. Also, at that time were having crazy heatwave conditions and I needed something light and airy to avoid a major sweat induced meltdown. Ironically, the day I took these photos it's raining and rather cold but I have worn this skirt quite a bit in the previous two weeks when it was super hot.

Enter Butterick 5441, a pattern that I picked in a opshop some time ago that has been sitting in my stash waiting to be used. I thought this style is a bit 1980s, but according to the vintage patterns wikia it may actually be 1970s instead. The fabric is a gorgeous golden yellow cotton that I picked up from the last Sydney Spoolettes fabric swap day generously donated by Stephanie. Yes - I used one of those many fabrics I amassed late last year! I even had a yellow zip in the stash also picked up from an opshop, so an all round cheap and cheerful project.


This is a very simple skirt pattern - a lightly gathered skirt, a straight waistband and some side pockets. All sewn on the sewing machine with nary a handstitch other than sewing a button on! However, in my haste to make this skirt I knew I was making a fundamental error. A straight waistband does not suit my body shape at all and never fits properly. I was deluding myself that I could wear this slung low on my hips and that it wouldn't matter, but you can see in the photo below that the waistband dips terribly:


So I did a quick and easy fix by inserting some elastic through the waistband. The waistband is slightly gathered now but I don't think it will be terribly noticeable and now it sits in a much better place.


The back of the skirt is lightly gathered and the zip is in the side seam, so it really is a simple project to sew.


This is a new length for me - normally I hem my skirts at the knee, or slightly above but I thought I'd try this ballerina length. And I quite like it!


And before you ask, no I haven't finished the Frnech style jacket. Nearly there, I've mostly got the trim on, but need to do the pockets and finish the lining. Oh and sew on the buttons. A bit more than I thought actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment