a new addition to my family

Wednesday 18 May 2011
All of you that have been advocating a little brother or sister for Anna can just calm down, not yet my friends, not yet! But I do have a new addition to my sewing family, which was a lot less painful to procure but I'm sure will bring me lots of happiness:


Ever since Carolyn mentioned that her new overlocker not only threaded itself but set its own tension too, I haven't been able to get such a magical machine out of my mind.  But when I looked into it, it turns out the Babylocks retail for about $3000 here in Australia, which is a lot of moola or a lot of fabric that I could purchase instead, so I thought about whether I really needed it. 

After struggling with fixing the tension on my crappy Toyota overlocker for at least an hour the last time I switched threads, and choosing my projects based solely on what colour thread was in the overlocker I decided it was definitely time.  I did leave the brochure hanging around the house before mother's day, but when that didn't work I just went and bought it for myself instead!

I went with the Enlighten model because I really like its features.  Not only does it thread itself with a whoosh and not require any fiddling with the tension, it also changes between overlocking and rolled hem with a flick of a lever instead of having to change the footplate and presser foot like my other machine, it also does flatlocking, a funky wave stitch as well as having some really bright LED lights so I don't further ruin my eyesight sewing at nighttime. 


source: www.babylock.com.au
 Sadly though I have been too busy and a little bit sick with a manky cold this week to get it out of its box and use it yet.  Plus I haven't quite finished that annoying denim jacket yet, so I'm forcing myself to finish that first before I get to use my new BFF.  The good news is that I only have buttonholes and topstitching left to do on the jacket, so hopefully I can get it finished sooner rather than later.

16 comments:

  1. Ooh so exciting!! :D I can't wait to see how you get on!
    I want an overlocker, but couldn't justify the cost. So instead I upgraded from my bottom of the range sewing machine to a machine that has an overlock stitch. It good enough for me so I'm happy :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm... new machine, what's not to love! Will you also keep the old one and have it threaded all the time on say white/black ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the model below yours...the Eclipse and I love it...still a little scared of it but the few times I have got the courage it was a breeze, so I'm sure your going to love your new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh fun, fun! I hope you're feeling better soon so you can play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dratz - you got me. Here I was thinking that there was a little one on the way :D.

    Congrats on the new machine. I have the Evolution model just love her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the new machine! The threading system sounds pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the Evolution for Christmas, and due to several family emergencies, it stayed in its box for months, but then I took the class, and want to get started. Never had a serger before, so still a little scared of it. During the next window in between life's hassles, I want to spend a week getting acquainted with this lovely machine. I love sewing knits, so I am sure it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet! I have a Babylock serger, although not that model. Well worth the price in aggravation reduction alone. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a babylock and I would not even consider for a second getting anything else. Jet of air threading is THE way all overlockers should be. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congradulations!!! You won't be sorry. I have a Babylock Imagine that I purchased in 2007. It is still fabulous as ever. I have never been sorry that I spent the money for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought the Babylock Imagine and never looked back. The quick threading and self tensioning is wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will love love love this overlocker!!! I have the imagine, it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm slightly jealous-- I have one of the very basic model Babylocks, and the greatest struggle for me all along has been setting tensions! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the new addition! I have to tell you that I love my serger's stitch and I'm finally getting used to changing the threads...but every now and then I still have to pinch myself to believe it's really mine.

    You are going to love it! I guess I shouldn't tell you that next up is a new sewing machine...huh! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome!! Have fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also got a Babylock jet-air threader! They're fantastic and did the same for my sewing--love it now! So happy you got one and have had the same experience.

    ReplyDelete