Is it just me, or is it universal that annoying things will more likely happen when you're sewing something white? Such as spilling your drink, a naughty pet sleeping on the project or like what I did earlier this week, pricking your finger and not noticing until after there are big splotches of red blood all over my newly finished blouse! On the brighter side (I'm trying hard to see the good in the bad this year) I used the few days that I needed to soak and wash the blouse to make a skirt to go with it, and this is what I came up:
The blouse is Burda 2/09 pattern 125:
I originally planned to make this in a crisp white cotton, but all the reviews over at Pattern Review recommend using a soft, drapey fabric so I've used a soft, thin white cotton shirting material from the stash instead. I think it works, although I still get a bit of puffy sleeve syndrome if I lift my arms up:
I guess I'll just have to stop standing around with my hands on my hips when I'm wearing this shirt! Maybe this shirt will make me less bossy..... And maybe I should set up the camera tripod straight too so my photos don't look so crooked.
I did have troubles with the sleeve band due to the typical BWOF instructions, and after finally figuring it out from the helpful reviews on pattern review I still gave up on it because mine looked messy. Plus they were really really wide bands. So I took them off, cut them in half width ways and just sewed them on as a single band without a button opening. It's not like I'll ever need to unbutton them, so I figure this is just as good. Although I see from this photo there's a bit of excess fabric at the front and back of the shirt, so I may take in the darts even more to get a closer fit.
For the skirt, I used Style 1932, which is a 1970s era full circle skirt pattern. I think it's pretty funny since it's obviously a 1970s version of a 50s style skirt, right down to the poodle applique on the skirt.
I made the blue version in the centre, but I still had to lop about 20cm off though, and I left off the pockets because of the fabric I used. However, I'm not overly happy with how it has turned out, because the fabric doesn't fall in even ripples around my body, rather it tends to gather at the seams, ie at the sides and the centre front/back which looks rather unflattering:
I was just putting away the left over fabric and the pattern when I realised what I had done: the plaid pattern is printed on the bias and the pattern requires the panels to be cut on the bias. I was trying so hard to match up the lines (which I failed in anyway) that I forgot to cut the skirt panels on the bias, so they are cut on the straight grain and I guess that's why it doesn't sit quite right. But there is a lot of fabric there in this skirt, so I may be able to salvage it by turning it into a boring old A-line style or the like - seeing the good in the bad yeah!
Well Anna is off to day care for three days a week starting next Monday, but I'm not back at work for another two weeks so I have a mini holiday from being a mum for a few days. It's nice to be wanted, but I reckon it's going to be great to have a bit of space too! We had an orientation at the centre yesterday and Anna had a few tears even though we were only there for 45 minutes. But once she settles in it will be great for her, we spend too much time alone together her and I, and the opportunity to mix with other kids and do structured activities is for the best I think.
So tune in next week, I plan to do lots of sewing and get a haircut and maybe have a whole day sleeping (well that bit will be boring for you but it will be great for me).