dress number of summer of the dress-athon

Tuesday 30 September 2008
Finally got around to taking some photos of the next dress in the summer of the dress saga. I made Simplicity 3874 which looks like it's now OOP even though it is only a 2007 pattern. I used a stretch cotton that I bought in Bangkok at the beginning of this year for some crazy price like $1 a metre (so I bought 5m, I was a little constrained by luggage weight sadly). I fully underlined it with white cotton poplin, which is equally cheap, throw in an invisible zip and some thread and I have a pretty nice maternity dress for next to nix!

Anyway I chose this pattern because with the empire line and bodice tie, I knew it would lend itself to maternity wear very well with only a few small changes. I cut out the top half of the bodice and the back at my normal size, but cut the lower front dress piece out at the largest size (size 16), and added a triangle shaped wedge piece to the waistline by placing the pattern edge on an angle to the fold. This way the dress is still somewhat fitted around my legs, but has enough room to cover my preggy belly. It meant that I had to gather the fabric under the casing for the tie, but since it gets pulled tight when it's tied anyway it's barely noticeable. And here is the final product:

And a shot from the side doing the obligatory 'place hand on stomach pose to make obvious I am pregnant and not just weirdly rotund in the middle' pose:


Yes I am wearing high heels in the photo, and probably will keep wearing them for a few more weeks yet! So far no problems like stumbling or lower back pain, although I am sensible enough to wear flats to and from the bus stop to office (it is an up hill trek). Can't believe how obsessed I was with what shoes I was going to wear when I first fell pregnant, I shouldn't have worried about it at all. I only have about two months work left before going on a year's maternity leave, so I think my current shoe collection will see me through.


A few people have asked in the comments to previous posts how I am managing to sew so quickly. Well it's all in the fitting, or in my case lack of having to do it! I realise now that tweaking patterns, darts, side seams etc to get a nice fit over the bust, waist and hip line is what takes so long during pattern alterations and garment refinement at the end, not the actual sewing of seams. But now that I'm aiming for a loose and easy fit around my waist and hips I'm not spending too much time on that and I'm finding that I can just plow through the sewing in no time. Of course post pregnancy I'll be back to the agonising fitting that takes so long (but is essential to a good outcome) but for now I have a pressing deadline to meet - I need clothes that fit and I need them now! - so I'll keep on with the easy sewing.

12 comments:

  1. This one is soooo nice you need to make it twice! Seriously, this is a great dress and you should find another wonderful print and make it again.

    Now, I have a question about this year long maternity leave. Is this part of your company's health benefits, your country's health benefits or are you combining leave, vacation and sick time to get such a huge amount of time off. Cause I had 6 weeks with first baby, 3 months with second and 5 weeks with third! Well honestly I was entitled to 8 weeks with the second but by then I had 3 little kids and was dying to go back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...sorry that should have been entitled to 8 weeks with the third!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that dress! I am glad you are able to take a year off with bub. I did the same with both of mine, returning to work part-time in between. Never regretted the time off work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, and Carolyn is right, make it again in another print or in a textured solid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just great! I've loved your entire pregnancy wardrobe... I saw a heavily pregnant lady on my walk into work today and actually thought of you and all the wonderful clothes you've been making to accommodate your little to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect dress! Yes, that's so great about all the time you can take with your baby. I had four months with my daugher, which was lovely, then I was at a different company when my son was born and was only allowed six weeks. That was horrid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristy, you did it again! Like Carolyn said... "It's sooo nice! Really cute! And yes, I can see you wearing it after the fact!
    The print is nice too.
    Keep up the good work! Still trying to organize myself... hang in there... you've not got that long now...
    How is the sewing for baby going?
    Anything?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed at your ability to turn an ordinary pattern into a maternity pattern. This came out so well!

    Watching you sew for a changing body has been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first thought when reading your post is holy moly! 1 year?! Us overworked american moms-to-be cry out with envy as in the US, 12 weeks is considered generous... Otherwise, great work and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a very cute dress and it fits you very well

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great dress! Thanks for nominating me too!

    ReplyDelete