Is this worthy of Sew Retro?

Monday 10 March 2008
I hope so, because I have now joined Sew Retro and this is my first project I posted there. I'm in total awe of the amazing things people sew and post there, some of the turn of the century clothes look so complicated, others get such a good fit with their fabric and pattern choices and some talented (gluttons for punishment?) use actual vintage sewing machines as well.

Anyway, my contribution is a 1960s Simplicity pattern skirt, purchased from an op shop of course, hence the 50c price sticker on the front. I used a black, white and yellow houndstooth check wool purchased from an op shop, as well as thrifted buttons so all in all a skirt made for probably 1960s prices.

I only made a few changes to the pattern - using an invisible zip and installing a lining, two things that I think make skirts look just that little bit more professional. I also didn't change the pattern sizing because even though my measurements are almost 3 inches more than the sizing on the pattern, it had far too much ease for modern day pencil skirt styles and it fit perfectly the way it is.

Now I feel a need to make up more vintage patterns to keep up with the Sew Retro-ers. Oh the pressure............

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kristy
    Just came over from Sew Retro and thought I'd say hi from up north (brisvegas) - love the outfits so far, looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt is great. The pockets are such a cute detail and I love that you paired it with those fantastic yellow pumps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow shoes really seal the deal! Good choice. Also, good call on sizing -- the skirt fits you perfectly. Just as you experiences, my sewing teacher has advised me to beware of ease in vintage patterns. Hope to see other cool vintage from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you use the vintage ladies patterns do you have to alter the sizing at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the yellow accent...and of course those yellow shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristy: Saw your post on Sew Retro and came on over. Your skirt looks fab. Your blog is quite cute and I love the LONG LONG wip (in quilting we call them UFO's). I haven't ventured into retro as yet, but then most things I'm making now are very similar to what I sewed in my teens and twenties in the late 60s/ early 70s - so sort of retro!!

    I also recently got into blogging. Everyone come see me at:
    http://sallysews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the whole outfit - you look super chic!

    ReplyDelete