The cute and the not so cute: Japanese sewing pattern vs Burda 6-2011 #111

Tuesday 17 December 2013
After doing that last post on the Japanese sewing pattern books that I own but have not sewn from I felt a pang of guilt not experienced since before I started actually sewing from my Burda magazines! So I traced out a few patterns and decided to make a new dress for Anna. This would be the cute part of the title of this post:


From the Fashionable Clothes for Girls book (ISBN978-4-529-04526-1) I made the tunic dress "a":



image from Tanoshii-Schneidern.blogspot.com
I used size 110 since Anna is 114cm tall now, and the fit is superb although I doubled the length of the bottom part of the dress (almost an extra 15cm long) because this dress was really really short. I think it may be a tunic meant to be worn over tights as shown in the pattern book, but since I wanted Anna to be able to wear this dress during summer I lengthened it so it could be worn as a dress. Of course Anna insisted on wearing tights with the dress for these photos so she could be just like the pictures in the book!




This dress was really simple and straightforward to make, and aside from the length the other change I made was to fully line the bodice instead of sewing on fiddly little facings at the neckline and sleeve openings. The fabric is an Alexander Henry cotton bought from the remnants table at Tessuti Fabrics earlier in the year which has a lovely soft feel to it, and the buttons, ribbon and red cotton faux pocket flaps are all from the stash.



And now to the not so cute. I'm sure you've all had those projects that turn out nothing like how you've pictured it in your head? Well, this is one of those! I saw a picture recently somewhere or other of a pair of shorts in a coral colour with a scalloped edge hem, worn with a black and white top that I thought would look perfect for a summer outfit. Unfortunately I failed to take into account that my legs are not long, toned and tanned so it doesn't look quite the way I wanted it to on me.

I wouldn't normally wear high heels with shorts, it was just for this photo trust me! I think the problem is that I made the shorts a bit longer in the leg because I'm not comfortable wearing them really short and that makes them look a bit dowdy.
 

I used Burda 6/2011 #111 mainly because it was already traced out since I've made it previously in a floral softer fabric. It's a very simple pattern with a side zip and some ridiculously long darts on the front. I left off the patch pockets on the back and instead did a single welt pocket.


For this version I used a piece of cotton drill that has been in the stash for a while so the fit is different but still not so bad.



That back view is far from flattering! How's that for truth in blogging? Anyway I think I'll cut off the scalloped edge and hem it normally and chalk this one up to experience.....

25 comments:

  1. Anna's dress is super cute with the ribbon and faux pockets.. gorgeous fabric!!! I think you'll be happier with the shorts once you cut off the scalloped hem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable dress on Anna. I definitely need to track down some of those books. The shorts are a great fit but yeah, I think they're a little long. Sounds like you've already figured out how to make them work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is super cute. Those Japanese patterns look like they are a good fit. Colour and fit of the shorts looks pretty good but, yeah maybe a a bit long - shame to cut off those nice scallops though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna is turning into a professional model ... she's got her poses down for sure! Very cute dress. For your shorts ... is there enough of a hem to turn the scallops UP into a cuff? Then you could shorten them and keep the scallops at the same time. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I like that idea!! Best of both worlds!

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful girl whose lucky to have a creative mom. The dress is darling, perfect for summer. I love the color and fit of those shorts, and, BTW, I'll take those "untoned" legs any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shorts are not bad at all! They look good!!! I hope you revisit them.

    Super cute dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shorts don't look dowdy to me. An inch longer, yes. As they are, they look elegant on you. But then, I am 55. Myself, I've sworn never to subject the eyes of the world to my legs in short pants, ever again. (I have 95-year-old friends who happily don short-shorts every May-September. This is why I have made the pledge of No More Shorts.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna's dress is so, so cute! And she looks very happy :) I agree with everyone else that you will probably be happier once you chop off the hem of the shorts. The scallops were worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Anna's dress! I honestly get a kick out of poses too. She's a charmer. I actually also like your shorts. You are right, three inches shorter and you'll be happier. And, you can totally wear them! You have great legs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shorts look great. Before you reduce the length try them with a top with a different neckline as per your previous shorts make

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the shorts! They're so cute. And I agree with trying a different top with them. And the little dress looks much better with a longer length. My little girl likes long dresses, the longer the better. By the way I check your blog almost daily. It is so inspiring to see the amazing things you make!! I've only made (almost) 2 things from my Burda mags and they were both a disaster. Ugh. Please keep inspiring us!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Anna's dress, it looks super cute on her. I agree with the others, before you do anything to the shorts do try it with some other tops but guess in the end it does come down to what you feel comfortable wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the scalloped edge - something different - hope you reconsider the chop! Anna's dress is gorgeous and she has all the right moves. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore you for showing those shorts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anna's dress is too cute for words, as is Anna. I like your shorts and already you have a diversity of opinions lol. One thought though, before you dive in to changing them, you could pin out a tuck to see what the scallops looks like on a shorter leg length (for future makes) as well as turning the hem under and pinning to see if you prefer this pair with the scallops cut off and hemmed straight. That might help you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Japanese books, they almost always work out beautifully. Well done. I think you're right to go with your gut feeling on the shorts. The scallops aren't doing it for me either but I think a straight hem will look fab and transform them completely. At least it will be an easy fix. Nice colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anna looks tops. She has the look and style to wear anything really. Love her dress.
    You have great legs and if you do change these shorts, make them shorter. I'm just say'n...

    But that's just my 2c worth. Did Anna give your her thoughts on your shorts?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with BeaJay. I looked at the photos and saw the scallops and thought, "that's a fun pair of shorts". Dowdy did not occur to me at all..
    And Anna is cute and photogenic as always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anna and her new dress are adorable. Your new shorts fit beautifully and I love the colour so I hope you get salvage them into something you are comfy with.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the fun fabric for Anna's dress. I'm not into the scallops either but those shorts aren't too bad. I'm boring though and only wear navy, black or beige shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have got some great ideas for your shorts dilemma, love the colour and fit but not so sure of the length, scalloped or not! Anna does look cheeky in her gorgeous new dress and love the poses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful job on the dress for Anna - she looks very happy with it! I really don't think the shorts are bad at all, and I bet you can save them. That coral is a great color for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn't it funny how critical of ourselves we are and how we hone in on the bits of our bodies that we don't like. I actually thought the back view photo of your shorts was flattering!

    Tully

    ReplyDelete