Burda 11/2012 #124. Again.

Sunday 24 February 2013
Thanks for your compliments on the last dress for Anna, I'm quite relieved to have it finished and not make it into a UFO, but I do have to say it's probably my least favourite thing I have sewed for Anna.  It looks very homemade to me, a little bit too much Holly Hobbie for my liking but of course Anna loves it and wants to wear it all the time instead of the other great dresses I've made for her!

Burda-11-2012-#124But back to some grown up sewing.  Of course I should be on with my Burda challenge since it's nearly the end of February and I haven't done the February garment yet.  Actually the reason I didn't do an end of year round up of my 2012 Burda challenge projects like Melissa over at Fehr Trade did is because I still haven't made the December project yet.  But in a fit of procrastination of the useful kind, I decided to remake one of my favourites: #124 from the 11/2012 issue - an a-line skirt with welt pockets and a top stitched centre front seam.  When I made it back in November last year I made it from an emerald green cotton drill which I've worn many times since making it.  I've had to take the skirt in a bit due to losing the baby weight since I made it in November (helped along quite a bit by my recent illness), so it's a definite stayer in the wardrobe.

I recently cleaned out my wardrobe, and one of the garments to bite the dust was a denim skirt I made back in 2010 (ironically from another Burda pattern).  It was looking pretty worn out, and being a pencil skirt style in a rigid fabric like denim it always crept up while I was wearing it and I was forever pulling it back down into place.  But a denim skirt is a good basic to have in the wardrobe, especially in a darker colour, so I decided to make another one using pattern #124 because I figured an a-line shape would be more comfortable.

Burda-11-2012-#124-a-line-skirt

Because I've made this previously, I didn't need to trace the pattern out (one of the most time consuming parts of using the Burda magazines) and it sewed up really quickly.  I did move the welt pockets in towards the centre a little bit because I felt on the last version they were practically in the side seam, only by a little bit:

Burda-11-2012-#124-a-line-skirt-welt-pocket

but it turns out that doing that means the welts stick out open a bit and the dark blue cotton I made the pocket bag from is visible, so I probably should have left them where they were.  Perhaps the Burda pattern makers do know what they're doing after all!  You can see in the side view how they stick out a little:

Burda-11-2012-#124-a-line-skirt

A dark denim skirt is hugely versatile.  The day after I made this I wore it out for some child free shopping (the best kind) with a plain white tshirt and a yellow scarf.  Are the matching yellow shoes too much though?

I also wore this to my first Australian Sewing Guild sewing day with the Rhodes Fashion Sewers on Saturday (how was that for a segue?).  Actually I didn't do any sewing, just a lot of chatting with Maria and Sharon, because I went there to check things out but it looks like loads of fun so I'll definitely be back next month with my machines in tow.  How could being in a big room full of like minded women busily sewing, talking and pin fitting each other in a spot far away from distractions from pesky husbands and kids be anything but good?

29 comments:

  1. Great skirt. I love the fabric and the style is more interesting than your a average a-line skirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great skirt!! And I LOVE the yellow scarf with the yellow shoes! The rest of the outfit is so simple that they really just add a flash of color and arent at all overwhelming! Very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy, this is a versatile piece. It looks so pulled together but not fussy. Does your denimn have any stretch? Your welt pockets are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I REALLY like that skirt - it's so classic & versatile & it looks great on you. I'm hoping to work up the courage to try a Burda pattern one of these lifetimes, when I work up the nerve & patience to trace one of suckers out. It's not the tracing that bugs me. It's tracing around all the other pattern lines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cute! I love your pockets - they are perfect! You could make so many more of these for work and for play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable skirt! I like the way you've styled it. I think it is just right, not too much or too little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your skirt! The pockets don't look like a problem to me at all. The yellow accents are terrific. Being 8 months pregnant in the middle of winter here, I am jealous of your waistline and your summery outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look tre chic. Those pockets are really well made Kristy.
    Thanks for dropping in on Saturday. It was great to catch up again. See you next month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely skirt. Beautiful details and fitting. Yellow shoes are not too much. You look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely skirt and I'm super jealous of your kid free/sewing talk time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't seen the finished dress though I actually liked the original. Would it have worked with tights? This denim skirt looks great.

    Not sure if you are interested, or on Facebook, but wee have set up an Australian bloggers groups. Just search Aussie blogs to love. I'm hoping to grow this group as a place to network, share advice and organize meetups.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great skirt and no the shoes and scarf are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a smart looking basic! Your welts pockets look impeccable. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the shoes & scarf together, and it's a nice skirt pattern. Could the stiffer fabric be why the pockets are gapping a little?

    I didn't see you on Saturday, and look forward to catching up another Rhodes day. (may not make it to March)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This skirt is lovely, and it's always satisfying making something that you know is going to fit right into your wardrobe isn't it. I love the yellow scarf and shoes together (but I'm totally biased as in my mind there is not such a thing as "too much yellow" in an outfit...)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shame I missed you at Guild on Saturday. I had to go to a family function. Hope to see meet you in March. Your skirt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your skirt looks great. Love the yellow shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your skirt and the yellow shoes are not too much yellow, brings the outfit together. It was lovely chatting on Saturday and look forward to catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am guilty of matchy-matchy, but I say yellow shoes forever! You're right, this is a great and versatile skirt. I need to make something like this, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally agree with you: a dark denim skirt (especially A-line), is a very useful garment to have. I love the way you paired it with yellow accessories! Yellow and blue denim are one of my prefered colour combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the skirt and the yellow accessories. I am in a Melbourne ASG and I love it. Such a good place for inspiration learning and friendship. More people should join!

    ReplyDelete
  25. omg that welt pocket looks so beautiful. I can't imagine ever creating such a neat one--especially in Denim. We in the blogosphere are so fortunate have dedicated bloggers such as yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice skirt. Those welts are beautiful. I almost threw out a child's jacket from the pain of getting those welts sewn. I love child free shopping esp. when I can try on some clothes in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful skirt, and well done on the welt pockets!!! I'd be over the moon if I could get that result. I avoid welt pockets because they always look home sewn.

    /Maria in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm just learning to sew - so far so many fails, but a denim skirt is something I'm keen to try. I'm glad to see there's also a sewing group near to where I live (for when I get better and I can call myself a sewist).

    ReplyDelete