Last week I studiously applied myself to finishing the black wool jacket. Seriously, I did. I forced myself to work on it an hour each night until it was all sewn together, including a rather funky paisley print lining:
but before I sewed on the ruffled peplum which would have been the final step, I tried on the jacket after sewing in the sleeves to insert the shoulder pads. And the fit was appalling! My fault of course for not making a muslin, but I've sewed several Burda jackets before and have found that a size 36 is a good fit, plus I did flat pattern measurements which seemed ok. But once it was sewn I could see that back was too broad, the shoulder seam too wide and generally just a little too big overall. All fixable of course, but it would require unstitching quite a few seams but unpicking black thread on black fabric with the added fussiness of block fused whisperweft interfacing is a task that I was just not up to at the moment.
So sadly I have broken my self imposed no new UFO rule which I have adhered to for the last 2 years. But KayY's comment that sometimes the right garments are just started at the wrong time resonated with me, so I'm considering this one a 'seasonal' UFO and will put it at the top of my to do list next winter.
To even things out I pulled out a summer dress from the UFO box while I was putting this one away, and have already started working on pulling it apart to re-sew and finish it. So all is well with my little universe.
And Vicki you are so right that the jacket was holding up the sewing queue. The relief of putting this jacket aside is obvious - I spent a few quiet hours on Saturday afternoon tracing out 4 Burda patterns to go with these spring fabrics I pulled from the stash recently that will become my next four projects (from l-r dress, dress, wide leg pants, dress):
So expect to see some colour (and finished projects) around these parts soon!