And on top of the trip I've had my own very minor but annoying ailments to contend with: tonsillitis again, a severe migraine and now a stuffy head cold. Bring on spring I say! So I'm sure you can all understand why I've had nothing to report around here, not that I expect you all to be waiting on tenterhooks for wise words - I know I'm not that interesting.
But I did manage to finish sewing the hem on my recent project: Burda 1/2011, skirt 113:
I even made mine from some glenplaid wool just like the magazine photo, which of course led to frustrations in pattern matching. Here's my finished product:
I think it looks ok, although I think the waistband yoke is either too wide or I should have made it a bit smaller so it sits higher on my waistline because it looks a little off to me. And looking at these photos it seems the hem may not be straight either because it looks to be sitting higher at the back than the front, although that could be my dodgy posture though.
The pattern was super easy and would have been quick to sew if I didn't make it from a plaid fabric. The skirt is excessively long though - there are two versions in the magazine, a long (calf length) and a shorter one (knee length), but I found that I had to lop almost 15cm off the length to get it sit anywhere near my knee. Which of course meant I had to take out the godet and resew it in higher up the back centre seam. I also put in a centre back zip instead of a side zip just because I find side zips tend to ripple over my lumpy hips and thighs so I like to avoid that!
Pattern matching on the side was a success:
and successful on the front too, but I should have lined up the apex of the yoke with a stripe instead of having it off centre - I should have paid more attention when cutting out the front skirt on the fold.
Pattern matching on the back was a mixed result - vertically pretty good but horizontally it is way off. But as many of you have pointed out before no one should be staring at my butt enough to notice that anyway!