Party frocks

Sunday 29 November 2009
What a difference a year makes! This time last year this is how I looked:

Ginormously pregnant, too fat to get my wedding rings on my swollen fingers let alone squeeze my feet in party shoes or contemplate going to a christmas party! This year though, I'm all ready to partay in my new frock:
It's made from a vintage Simplicity 3918, picked up in mint condition from an op shop and sewn up in some crisp medium weight cotton purchased from ebay. The fabric has enough weight to it that the very full skirt flares out nicely without the need for a petticoat or layer underneath:





Such a simple shape dress, but made just that little bit difference by that red panel on the front neckline called a "vestee" on the pattern. It's supposed to be detachable, held in place by press studs or snaps but I decided to hand sew it down to the facing instead.

The only changes I made to the pattern were to use an invisible zip down the side instead of the awkward lapped side zip installation suggested by the pattern, and to reduce the length by 6 inches becaues this hit my mid calf which isn't so flattering on me.

And I can't not post a picture of the baby now can I? She finally fits into the little red dress I made for her quite some time ago, although it's still a little loose although it's size is meant to be for a six month old.

And to make sure she's not the Paris Hilton of the toddler set, I made a pair of bloomers in matching fabric with three rows of cotton lace across the butt. It also helps keep her nappy since she likes to take her nappy off these days!

26 comments:

  1. I had to come over from Sew Retro in case you had more pics! Yay you do!

    I love that fabric for sure! xoxo

    A lot has changed in 1 year, but by gosh it's been the fastest year yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, what a tiny waist you have...I am always disappointed when I see vintage patterns made up because the illustrations are deceiving with their tiny waists, but you embody that style perfectly! I also love that dress on Ana...and I'm sure it looks much cuter with her upright than it would have if it fit her a 6 months. You go and partay now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it a year already?
    You look fabulous in your dress! I remember my mom had a lot of those vestee you would snapp off to change the look, or just to wash it. (I'm talking about 1950-1960).
    Ana is a sweetie in her lace underwear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress! It looks like the perfect summer frock for the festival season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both look beautiful! What a difference a year makes. :) And I'm loving both dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dresses! You both look ready to Partay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks wonderful. i am currently in the pregnant phase and your before and after pics give me hope for next year.

    great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great! And the baby bloomers are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty dress. Have a great time at your party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty dress - you look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so pretty in that dress , it really shows off your figure. Your daughter just keeps getting cuter as she grows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great dress, and I love the splash of red! You've inspired me to go pull out my vintage patterns...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great dress!! I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely dress! Hope you have a wonderful time wherever you get to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! You both look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy mummy! great dress and your baby is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dress is really lovely on you. Unfortunately for me, I have a figure more suited to 60s-style A-line dresses, which would be fine if I were still 20...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful dress - I am soo envious of you being able to fit into vintage patterns! I love the fabrics used and the red belt :)
    Ana's outfit is adorable, I love the ruffles on the bloomers, so cute!natic

    ReplyDelete
  19. You both look great in your party dresses! Love the black, white and red!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful dresses. You are both very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look so cute in that dress! And your little girl is such a cutie pie. My first daughter just had her first birthday a few weeks ago, and I also looked at some old pics of myself. Hard to believe what big changes you go through that first year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look wonderful in both pics!!! Very cute dress! Your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pretty - both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whose the most adorable? Maybe you, maybe Anna....
    I think you would have won even if it wasn't a random draw.
    Well done too on the UFO completed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the dress! I found your blog after seeing the pattern on the vintage patterns wiki and started searching to see if I could find it for sale. It's just as charming made up as I had hoped!

    ReplyDelete
  26. After seeing this dress on your blog header I just had to go back through your entries until I found it! Gorgeous gorgeous. Very inspiring. I must find time to sew more clothes.

    ReplyDelete