why I'm not sewing baby girl clothes.....

Friday 13 February 2009
because I keep receiving the cutest baby outfits as gifts and hand me downs from friends that's why! Seriously, Anna has so many clothes that I'm not going to sew her any for quite some time to make sure we get good use out of all the clothes we've been given, such as this gorgeous dress Anna received from one of my close friends:
Red and white polka dots with ric rac, what's not to love about it? This photo was taken last Sunday when it was really really hot here, but now the crazy weather has turned and it's so cold I've put my flannelette pyjamas on tonight. So here's another photo of Anna in some warmer clothes, giving Oscar the nosy dog a kung fu kick to the nose 'cos he's always sniffing around checking what she's doing:


Hasn't it been a dramatic and extremely sad week in Australia this week? I'm sure you've all heard about the horrific bushfires in Victoria, the likes of which are unprecedented in Australia and just seem surreal to me. Terrible floods in far north Queensland, with a crocodile taking a little boy. And then there were two shark attacks in the last two days, one in Sydney Harbour and the other at Bondi and let me tell you as someone who used to swim in the sea every day as a youngster there's nothing scarier than being in the water when the shark alarm goes off. It feels like those dreams you have when you are being chased but are moving in slow motion: you just can't get out of the water fast enough.

So let's all be thankful for the good things in life, big or small. I'm thankful that Anna's gone to sleep 'cos she has been a bit crabby this week, staying up from 2am to 4.30am most mornings and then only sleeping for an hour during the day, which is unpleasant for all of us. But I'm sure it will pass all too soon so I'm trying to be positive and look at it as being extra time spent with my little girl - because earlier in the week I was doing the cliched new mum lament of "what have I done, I've ruined my life!" LOL

And I have managed to get some sewing done, probably because I'm only doing minimal housework in the rooms not affected by construction at the moment so I've had a bit of spare time in between naps. Also my husband does all the cooking and grocery shopping (I know, I'm extremely lucky) so I do manage to find time to do some things for me which is great for my sanity. Also thank god my mum is so calm and full of common sense, she always points me in the right direction as well as holding Anna whenever she's here which gives me a break.

Well I have some homework to do thanks to Jean for pointing out the machine hemming technique. I admit that I've never read the manual that came with my sewing machine and I assumed because it's a basic machine that it wouldn't do anything so fancy, so I'm off to explore and experiment. Thanks Jean, you truly are my sewing godmother! Of course now I'll have to find a different excuse for all my UFOs......

13 comments:

  1. She is just ADORABLE!!!!! I love the pic of the dog sniffing her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the fires and floods in Australia right now. Anna truly is a darling little girl and you are right...this too shall pass. My little Sara never slept much when she was small. I attributed it to she found us so stimulating that she didn't want to miss a thing. She turns 27 next month and sleeps through the night now (at her OWN home...LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love that outfit for Anna. She is beautiful. I personally deemed today as leave a comment on every blog I visit. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is just gorgeous! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!! And you won't need clothes until she's a toddler...this I knew. I didn't start sewing for my girls until they hit school age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet baby! I just happened on your blog while doing a search for maternity patterns. I am due with my 4th baby in August, which is the pit of summer here in Texas. I know from experience that dresses are the way to go at that point. Can you recommend some fairly simple maternity dress patterns? (they need to be fairly easy to put together since I already have three little ones to care for)My sewing skills are not advanced, more like intermediate :) I am also on the plus size and am having a hard time finding anything I really like.

    Thanks!! Come visit me anytime at my blog- www.anneatheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that your area is safe. Sometimes it's hard to know where people are.
    Glad to hear my tip was something you hadn't done before. Always nice to learn something new!
    She is a little doll! Looks like the dog thinks so too, specially if he is hanging out all the time.
    Hang in there, always easier to put clothes on than take them off! I mean a person only has so many they can take off!
    Nice that your mom can be around to help.
    And that hubby is so handy. Sit back and enjoy... one of these days that kitchen... and the rest of the house will be done!
    Good to hear that you can still get to the machine! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like Carolyn: I didn't need to make anything for my daughter until she was about 5, just because she had so much already. I made things for her from ages 5 to 9, then went through a long period of her wanting to dress just like every other girl—so nothing handmade. Now at age 16 she wants one-of-a-kind things because she wants to stand out. Relish the period when Anna doesn't want you to sew for her, 'cos then you can concentrate on yourself again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How adorable. Thanks for the lovely photos - we sure need them at the moment. I didn't think it went cold in Sydney! It is here in Melbourne - I am wearing my polar fleece dressing gown. It is still too which is good for the firefighters but it also means we are covered in smoke - no wind to move it. Oh well - good excuse to not go out running..lol. And not to do washing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness she is beautiful and her dress adorable!

    http://blessingsshelia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww she's so cute!
    I found this tutorial from Southern Stitches really helpful when I first tried blind hemming:
    http://southernstitch.blogspot.com/2008/03/i-figured-tutorial-on-blindstitching.html
    I blind hem almost everything now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That little girl is looking very cute. Babies grow so fast, so its probably not worth sewing clothes for Anna until she's older. Sew for yourself when you can.
    Anna will be sleeping through the night in a few weeks time, so things will get much better for you Kristy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little girl is just adorable, congratulations!!! I love the little outfit and don't worry I'm sure you'll have more than enough opportunities to sew for your little princess in the years to come...

    Take Care
    Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete